When in San Diego #
I’ve had some friends move to San Diego. Since I used to live there, this is a
list of things to do and try.
- 🛣Coastal Highway 101, drive it from Carlsbad down to San Diego.
- Drive to Torrey Pines, both South and North. It is just beautiful.
- 🍩Donut Bar is excellent. I love
donuts and this place has never done wrong in providing something unique.
- 🥮Extraordinary Desserts has a menu
of just desserts. You may see a pattern here.
- 🌻Balboa Park is a beautiful
botanical park. You can spend a day here, between the museums and gardens.
- 🦓San Diego Zoo is the world-famous
Zoo. Huge! All the animals! And located in Balboa Park.
Breweries 🍺🍻 #
This deserved its own section. These breweries are spread amongst San Diego.
Always ask the brewer/tender where to go next, they know more.
- Modern Times great experimental
brewery. Always something clever on tap. Similar to Something Brewery in
- Stone runs Stone Gardens Brewing.
They have great location downtown and some of the best IPAs ever.
- Resident Brewing has a great downtown
Pacific Beach (PB) 🏴☠️ #
A surf “college” town, but lots of food, drinks, etc. Grand Ave is the “main
street”, but the beauty of PB is the beach.
Fact: You used to be able to drink on the beach (like with kegs), until 2007
where the fight between July 4th beach party-goers and Police broke out.
- 🍔Kono’s Cafe is a “Hawaiian”
breakfast spot. It is delicious. A tried-and-true hangover recovery area. It
is also at the start of the PB boardwalk.
- PB Boardwalk, rent a bike (or bring one) and ride up and down. There are
characters along here, but it
can be very entertaining.
- 🏄♀️Mission Beach Surfing is where I
learned to surf. Every one fun and friendly. The water will be cold, it is the
- 🖼Green Flash Art is a piece made to
represent the sunset. The lore of it, when looking at the sunset, you see a
green flash amongst the orange and red at the very end of it.
- Fig Tree Cafe is a classic
hipster brunch – french toast, omelets, etc. Nothing will be deconstructed,
Solana Beach #
Standard beach-side town. Easily drive-through but a good place to stop.
- 🍕&🍺Pizza Port is a brewery and
pizzeria. The best (maybe just nostalgic). My go-to here was the Shark Bite
Red Ale with BBQ Chicken, bacon, and pineapple (don’t judge) pizza.
- Chart House for the best seafood. It
is a swanky place, but worth it. They have a sister place across the street,
but I don’t see it anymore.
This is a classic surf-side town. Tony Hawk is from here!
- 👓Swamis is a surf beach. If you are
here on a big wave day, you will see some of the best surfers in the world. Go
early in the morning, grab a cup of coffee, and enjoy.
- ☕️Lofty Coffee grab a coffee here,
take it to Swamis.
- 🌯Filberto’s for a burrito. It is
open 24/7, may not be the best, but always accessible.
Del Mar #
Just park and walk around.
- 🥪Board and Brew is a sandwich shop.
Get the chicken club with the Sweet & Sour dipping sauce. Ask for the sauce
during purchase, it is not on the menu!
- 🌅Seagrove Park watch the sunset here
one night. Just do it!
- 🌮Roberto’s is the taco place that
Blink 182 sang about. Order the fish and shrimp tacos with chips and guac. Sit
outside and enjoy the cove.
La Jolla #
La Jolla is like Cherry Creek (with Boulder) on the beach. Expensive and
beautiful houses everywhere.
- 🐋Seal Rock you can view seals are
hanging out and sleeping on rocks.
- 🐡Birch Aquarium is by far the best
aquarium I’ve been to. It is huge!
Hillcrest 🏳️🌈 #
This is the most excellent neighborhood downtown. Stay here. Coffee shops,
restaurants, etc. This place has grown so much, and I couldn’t tell you what’s
Old Town 🇲🇽 #
Tourist trap of an authenticate Mexican town. I don’t recall this being worth