When in San Diego
I've had some friends moved to San Diego. Since I used to live there, this has been my list of things to do and try.
- 🛣Coastal Highway 101, drive it from Carlsbad down to San Diego.
- Drive to Torrey Pines, both South and North. It is just beautiful.
- 🍩Donut Bar is amazing. I love donuts and this place has never done wrong in providing something amazing.
- 🥮Extraordinary Desserts has a menu of just desserts. You may see a pattern here.
- 🌻Balboa Park is a beautiful botanical park. You can spend a day here, between the museums and gardens.
- 🦓San Diego Zoo is the world famous Zoo. Huge! All the animals! And located in Balboa Park.
This deserved its own section. These breweries are spread amongst San Diego. Always ask the brewer/tender where to go next, they know more.
- Modern Times great experimental brewery. They just have something clever on tap. Similar to Something Brewery in Brighton.
- Stone Gardens is run by Stone Brewing. They have great location downtown and some of the best IPAs ever.
- Resident Brewing has a great downtown SD location.
Pacific Beach (PB) 🏴☠️
A surf "college" town, but lots of food, drinks, etc. Grand Ave is the "main street", but the beauty of PB is the beach.
Fact: You use to be able to drink on the beach (like with kegs), unitl 2007 where fight between July 4th beach party goers and Police broke out.
- 🍔Kono's Cafe is a "Hawaiian" breakfast spot. It is delicious and a tried-and-true hangover recovery area. It is also at the start of the PB boardwalk.
- PB Boardwalk, rent a bike (or bring one) and ride up and down. There are characters along here, but it can be very entertaining.
- 🏄♀️Mission Beach Surfing is where I learned to surf. Every one fun and friendly. The water will be cold, it is the Pacific.
- 🖼Green Flash Art is a piece made to represent the sunset. The lore, when looking at the sunset, at the very end of it you see a green flash amongst the orange and red.
- Fig Tree Cafe is classic hippster brunch -- french toast, omlettes, etc. Nothing will be deconstructed, though.
Standard beach-side town. Easily drive through, but good place to stop.
- 🍕&🍺Pizza Port is a brewery and pizzeria. The best (maybe just nostalgic). My go to here was the Shark Bite Red Ale with BBQ Chicken, bacon, and pineapple (don't judge) pizza.
- Chart House for the best seafood. It is a swainky place, but worth it. They use to have a sister place across the street, but I don't see it anymore.
This is a classic surf-side town. Tony Hawk is from here!
- 👓Swamis is a surf beach. If you are here on a big wave day, you will see some of the best surfers in the world. Go early in the morning, grab a cup of coffee, and enjoy.
- ☕️Lofty Coffee grab coffee here, take it to Swamis.
- 🌯Filberto's for a burrito. It is open 24/7, may not be the best, but always accessible.
Just park and walk around.
- 🥪Board and Brew is a sandwich shop. Get the chicken club with the Sweet & Sour dipping sauce. Ask for the sauce during purchase, it is not on the menu!
- 🌅Seagrove Park watch the sunset here one night. Just do it!
- 🌮Roberto's is the taco place that Blink 182 sang about. Order the fish and shrimp tacos with chips and guac. Sit outside and enjoy the cove.
La Jolla is like Cherry Creek (with Boulder) on the beach. Expensive and beautiful houses everywhere.
- 🐋Seal Rock you can view seals hanging out and sleeping on rocks.
- 🐡Birch Aquarium is by far the best aquarium I've been to. It is huge!
This is the nicest neighborhood downtown. Stay here. Coffee shops, restaurants, etc. This place has grown so much. I couldn't tell you what's there anymore.
Old Town 🇲🇽
Tourist trap of an authenticate Mexican town. I don't recall this being worth it.